Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Quiet goodbye

Picture this: 5:45 pm, I-285 rush-hour bumper-to-bumper evening traffic in Atlanta the Friday of Memorial Day weekend, Iowa-trained driver behind the wheel of a 17' U-Haul truck with a tow bar hauling an Acura Legend, and Ray Charles' "Georgia on my Mind" playing on the radio. That was me almost seven years ago when I arrived in the state for my very first "real" job. My departure will be much less dramatic. Lunch with friends, one more drive down the connector, and an evening flight to the west.
In the last few weeks, there has been much looking back, much reminiscing, and recalling pleasant memories of this home-away-from-home for all these years. When I make my quiet exit there will be trails of pictures scattered behind me like colored confetti thrown over my shoulder catching the breeze and slowly weaving downward. I will remember Eden-like springtime with dogwoods and azaleas. I will remember the magnolias and hydrangeas, the smell of gardenia after a summer evening rainstorm. I will remember whipped topping clouds that tell stories and cool autumn mornings. I will remember the daphne and camellias of winter. I will remember kudzu, and boiled peanuts, and peaches, and collard greens, and fried green tomatoes, and Vidalia onions. I will remember kayaking on the Chattahoochee River, climbing Stone Mountain, apple picking, and garden hopping. I will remember the rainstorms and the rainbows. I will remember my mornings with the cardinals and Moroni. I will remember all my travels with Tilly (may she rest in peace). I will remember the granola co-op and the Arab meze party. I will remember the farmer's market and planting season. I will remember the temple. I will remember creative writing and bike-ride commuting. I will remember institute and visiting teaching. I will remember tunnel and cutting cardboard. I will remember throwing out and bedding up. I will remember customers and shipments. I will remember finding myself and letting go of fear. I will remember Easter picnics and ASO concerts. I will remember bell choir and oil painting. I will remember live oaks and Spanish moss. I will remember tubing and ice cream at Bruster's. I will remember all the closet prayers. I will remember the tender mercies. I will remember my answers.
And I remember the people and the kindred sprits and the friendships. I will remember my Relief Society sisters. I will remember my temple sisters. I will remember so many faces and stories. Natalie. Jenni. Sarah. Tarryn. Amber. Nikki. Benjamin. Brooke. Christiana. Mia. Eryn. Stephen. Rreza. Hannah. Tamra. The Cheesman's. The Heaton's. Mollie. Roger. Germaine. Janet. Julia. Tim. Yvonne. Hitomi. Sprice. Ginger. Becky. Irikefe. Leslie. Dawan. Amy. Melanie.
Georgia has been good to me and I will remember her.

2 comments:

Jane said...

I can't imagine a more cool job to have. I'm glad I know someone who got to do it.

Ruth said...

It's hard to believe you're leaving. What will Georgia be without Alissa there? It's a wonderful state, but you made it such a wonderful, wonderful piece of life. And yet I'm so happy for you to move on; grateful for the reasons you are. I love you! May you go with peace.